Drop-off Residential Food Scraps
Tompkins County has many FREE drop-off locations for residential food scraps. See the Tompkins County Solid Waste Division web site for drop-off locations and hours.
- Kitchen Caddy
Collect your food scraps in your kitchen caddy. For added convenience, use a compostable bag. Kitchen caddies and compostable bags are available for free* at the Drop Spot locations.
- 5-Gallon Bucket
Empty your kitchen caddy into a 5-gallon bucket with a secure lid.
- Drop-Off Tote
Bring your bucket to a drop-off location below and place food scraps – compostable bag and all – into the tote. You may bring up to 10 gallons per day.
- Food Scraps
- Bread, Grains, Beans, Legumes and Nuts
- Tea Bags, Coffee Grounds and Filters
- Compostable liners
- Paper Towels & Napkins
- Meat, Fish & Bones
- Eggs & Dairy
- Fruits & Vegetables
What’s Not Accepted?
- No compostable forks, cups, spoons or knives (regardless if products say Compostable or Biodegradable)
- No Paper plates, cups, etc.
- Pet Waste
- Glass and Metal
- Plastics of Any Variety (inc. bags)
- Yard Waste